The first publicly operated museum in the United States (1850), the house was built about 1750 by militia Colonel Jonathan Hasbrouck for his wife Tryntje Dubois, with two significant enlargements completed by 1770. In Newburgh, NY, it is on a hill overlooking the Hudson River. Colonel Hasbrouck died in 1780. During the War for Independence, the house was rented by Tryntie DuBois Hasbrouck to General George Washington, Commander in Chief of the American army, as his headquarters from April 1782 until August 1783. For twelve of these months, Washington’s wife, Martha, lived in the house.
The Jonathan Hasbrouck House, also known as Washington’s Headquarters, is a historic state park in Newburgh.
Please visit https://parks.ny.gov/historic-sites/17/details.aspx to read more.